Monday, March 24, 2014

Savannah for Spring Break

 On Monday of our spring break trip to Mama's, we drove to Savannah for the day.  I'm confident Carter and maybe Summer had been to Savannah before, but Tilly and Story have not ever been, and I wanted to remedy that!  Savannah is one of my most favorite places in the whole wide world.  
The very first thing we did was to drive over the Talmadge Bridge, which takes you over to Georgia into South Carolina.  I knew we couldn't be this close and not do it!  
Here we are driving over the great bridge! 
 Hello, South Carolina! 
Savannah hosts one of the largest St. Patrick's Day parades in the world, and they were already getting ready for the big day when we visited.  My children could not get over the green fountain!  
So.  Much.  Fun.  
I love these four to pieces.  They were such champs on our trip!  I loved showing all of my favorite things about Savannah.  
I remember when I was little, I loved to see the Georgia Queen.  
These four had so much fun playing on this little boat.  I love watching them pretend and play together, not much better! 
They were happy to let me take their picture as often as I wanted to, and I love how they always put themselves in order, ha! 
And this guy.  He was so precious to drive us over to Georgia for our spring break, knowing that he would be completely disconnected for the week.  Mama doesn't quite get the whole wi-fi thing ;) 
We ate at one of my very favorite Savannah restaurants for lunch, Spanky's.  There are several locations in Savannah.  When we were little, we ate at the one over by the mall almost every time we were in town.  
The menu is the exact same as it was when I was little, not that I needed one.  I only order one thing when I go to Spanky's, chicken fingers with spuds!  So yum!
After lunch, we made our way further down River Street to see the waving girl, Florence Martus.  When I was in 8th grade, I did my Georgia state project on Savannah, and my mom and I made a video of famous historical sites here.  There are so many to choose from.  Florence Martus made the video for sure! 
We also checked out the Olympic Torch.  In 1996, when the Olympics were held in Atlanta, the yachting events took place in Savannah.  
On the way to Savannah, I told the children that the best candy shop in the whole world was on River Street and that we would be sure to stop in while we were there.  They loved it!  We still haven't finished off the salt water taffy from our trip.  
After we stocked up on sweets, we snuck in the back entrance to the Hyatt so that we could ride the glass  elevator inside.  This was something I loved to do as a kid.  I will have to say that the elevator seemed much bigger when I was little than it does now.  
When we left River Street, we drove over to Tybee Island.  My children have not been to the Atlantic Ocean before, and until I was in college this was the only ocean I had ever been to.  It sure has changed a lot over the years.  
The weather could not have been more perfect for our outing.  
David with the littles.  
And my turn.  
While we were on the pier, a group of fishermen caught a stingray! So cool!
And then, David treated the little ones to some ice cream.  What a fun daddy!
This guy.  He's way too good to us!
The ice cream was kind of a big hit, too.  
Wouldn't you say!  I adore this picture and the up-close view of his freckles!  Love!
From the beach, we drove down to the Tybee Island Lighthouse, hoping to climb it.  However, they paint the lighthouse every 10 years, and it just so happens that our visit fell on the 10 year mark, ha! 
The gift shop was open though, and I got a really great coffee mug to remind me of our travels.  
Another view.  So pretty.  
Carter and Summer wanted their picture in front of it.  
Upon leaving Tybee Island, we drove over to Fort Pulaski to walk around and learn some more about the history of this great city.  
As we were walking along the top part of the fort where the canons are fired, this great ship passed by. Carter yelled:  Look, Momma, it's a lego boat!  I can kind of see that! 
The four littles inside Fort Pulaski.  
Carter wanted his picture with the giant canon.  
And then Tilly, too!
The children on one of the giant oak trees Savannah is famous for.  
And that concludes the wonderful visit to Savannah portion of our Spring Break travels.  Next up, the newest member(s) of our family! 

No comments: